Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wow, that weekend flew by.

This weekend came and went SO quickly! We didn't really do much. Saturday evening we went to a BBQ at a friend's home. Yummy burgers and veggies, and interesting conversation. Some of it was quite heavy, discussing the political situations in America and South Africa. But interesting nonetheless!

My little sister turned 22 over the weekend. Happy birthday, Bec!

Other news? Our tickets are bought, and the hostel is reserved; Beijing, here we come! Now we just have a little over a week to teach and wait. I suppose we can do that.

The weather is becoming much nicer. It's cooler, with a nice breeze. I can wear jeans now without being TOO uncomfortably hot. I'm hoping I can even wear a fleece in Beijing, since it's quite a bit north of here. I think I'm getting into that fall/winter holiday funk I fall into each year. I've got a craving for Woodland Mall. I love walking around the mall by myself around this time of year. I got into the habit when Matthew and I worked different schedules and only had one car. If I didn't feel like sitting at home for the evening, he would drop me off there. I would try on the pretty dresses at JC Penney, see a movie at Cinemark, walk laps around the mall, sit down with a new magazine and a salad from that yummy salad place. It was my "thing". It's so odd; I'm not missing THINGS so much now... it's more that I'm missing experiences. We won't be making our annual trip to Frankenmuth with Matthew's parents this October. We won't go apple picking together... we won't go to Battle Creek when it snows. I could get stuck on this, but...

Who knows what we WILL do! What is Fuyang like in the fall? The winter? What will people wear? Eat? Do? Will it snow? Sometimes it does. Last winter it didn't at all; but the winter before, there was a big snow. The whole city was at a stand-still. I would LOVE that! Michigan is trained. If the clouds dump on us, we push it out of the way and keep going. I would love for the world around me to actually pause; for people to look at the snow and go "Aw, crap. I guess we'll just wait." Here's to hoping!

This week not much is on the agenda. We are going to dinner with the Fuyangren (fuyang people)tonight for Larissa's birthday. I'm sure it will be a good time!

2 comments:

  1. We are going to miss Frankenmuth without you guys too. Matthew just got his free dinner coupon at Zehnder's.

    Today is the first day of Fall here. It's kind of funny because we've finally gotten real Summer weather only in the last couple of weeks. Some of the trees are already changing. It's a foggy morning right now, but it's supposed to be over 80 later today. So far September's average temperature is over 2 degrees higher than all of July. And August was cool too, and dry. We finally got some rain yesterday. Maybe I'll need to mow this weekend. It will be the first time in 3 weeks!

    Hey if I post here, and you don't have real access to your blog, will you get this? I'll send you an email too just in case. Let me know if you got my comment though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad I checked this again! It's so great to get caught up with your blog. I love reading about all of these experiences you guys are having! It's already getting cold here. Monday it is supposed to be in the 50's and rainy/windy. Thats Michigan!!
    Take care, you two! Know that you're in my prayers and that I miss you! Lets go karaoke'ing when you get back and get settled in.
    -Alison Patterson

    ReplyDelete