Thursday, September 3, 2009

Things I Love about China

So... I seem to rant a lot about what I DON'T like about China... either here, or in emails. Really, I do love it! So I'm taking today's post to think on the things that I love about this great country.

1. The people are so friendly.
-People in the U.S. are rude. Really - if you bump into someone at home, you get a dirty look. Here, sometimes they don't even turn around. Also, people are so accomodating. We don't speak the language, but they are patient and kind with us.

2. The food is amazing.
-I'm not talking about our cafeteria stuff. I'm talking restaurant food. Or, better yet, HOMEMADE Chinese food. The couple here that own the Music House had several of us over for dinner one night. The food was honestly some of the best food I've had in China. Vegetables here are amazing. I even like tofu here!

3. Friends.
-We've made some great friends here, both Chinese and foreign. It's amazing to be in a place where there's such a melting pot of people to spend time with. Chinese, American, English, South African, Canadian, German, Phillipino, Czech, Korean, among others. It certainly makes evenings interesting!

4. The language.
-Honestly, I still only know enough words to fill up my fingers (and maybe toes... if I stretched). So... I don't SPEAK the language, but I love listening to it! I had stereotypes about what Chinese sounded like. When you are surrounded by it day in and day out though, you realize it really is a beautiful language. If it's spoken softly, it's very melodic and flowy. Of course, any language turns ugly if it's spoken harshly or loudly (which many do here).

5. Our apartment.
-It's tiny. Probably about the same size as our studio was in Kentwood; but it's home. The water heater always work, the stove works, we don't have bugs, there's not much noise... and it's just so darn cozy. I was surprised by how much I was looking forward to being back in my "home" towards the end of our vacation.

6. The nature.
-There isn't much in Fuyang, besides a few really pretty parks. Once you drive out, though, the hills and mountains are stunning.

7. Hangzhou.
-I've fallen in love with this city. There is SO much history here. The West Lake is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen when the lotus flowers are blooming. There is beautiful stone work, willows around the lake, flowers, bamboo, Chinese architecture...*sigh of contentment*. Plus, I love the shopping, the movie theater, the restaurants, the bamboo forests. No wonder it's often considered one of the most beautiful cities in China.

8. I love myself... here.
-I'm freer here. I don't have to plan ahead, don't have to stress about school and work. I'm able to kick back and relax. Matthew and I can spend more time together. I can spend time with friends, or with the girls. I'm healthier... despite the ever-present cloud of smog. I'm more confident, which tends to happen when you become used to people watching every move you make. I'm realizing that life is so much more than growing old, working, having a home. I'm free to dream here.

9. I've gained a strong respect for the Asian culture.
-Yes, China is crowded. It's got a funky government, crazy cities... but somehow it works. They make jobs for their masses. All of the stores are ridiculously overstaffed, with a person in almost every isle just waiting to asist you. At McDonalds, people wait in the corner to come clear off your tray when you leave. The "lawnmowers" at our school are 7 middle-aged women who go out on the field with a stool to sit on and a basket for the grass. They pick at the grass all morning long. Sounds ridiculous; "just buy a mower", you might think. But then what would those 7 people do for a living? There isn't such an emphasis on "cutting corners". People need to work, so why not create the jobs? People can actually make a living off of a tiny storefront selling only ice cream bars, or a little cart selling ramen noodles and veggies to mix in. People adore their families. They see the importance of activity; every night parks are filled with free dance lessons. Every morning, people gather for Tai Chi. Public transport is amazing. You can pretty much go anywhere in the country you want by bus or train. Taxis are cheap. The list could go on and on!

10. The children are amazing.
-I LOVE teaching these kids. I don't always love TEACHING, because the content I'm giving is sometimes lacking; but I love the kids. They are so happy and bright. They are curious and (for the most part) well behaved. They are content to run around outside during their break time, or to play rock-paper-scissors. They don't seem to be consumed by TV, video games (although they do love them!), barbies, etc. They love exercise; they like aerobics and dancing.

So there it is... 10 things I love about China.

Matthew and I have both finished our classes for the day. We're sticking around awhile to do some internet stuff, then going home. One of two things is gonna happen tonight... either Matthew will go to Boy's Poker Night, or we're going to hang out with the neighbors. Nothing too crazy for us... we're feeling so tired and lazy this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment