Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blogspot is blocked!

So... it's happened. They've blocked Blogspot. Luckily, one of my friends knew a way around it to post... but I can't post pictures! I'm hoping they will "unblock" it soon. Until then, if you want to see pics, you'll have to get a Facebook account!!! :)

You never know... I may not be able to access it this way for long, either. So if I fall off the face of the earth, don't worry too much! Now... onto the post I've been saving for about a week.

Signs I am acclimating to life in China:

-I've turned to the dark side. I have perfected the squat toilet; and I prefer them.
-The garbage truck in the morning no longer makes me want to throw things when it plays "Happy Birthday" at 5 am
-When people give me food to try, I don't ask what it is. I just eat it.
-I no longer think twice about spitting bones or grisly stuff on the table next to me. We all do it.
-When someone on the street plugs one nostril and blows who-knows-what out the other, I no longer cringe. Sometimes, I give a friendly smile.
-I don't feel TOO silly wearing tennis shoes with any outfit
-taking a taxi is more work than just walking
-I can eat plain, sticky white rice with nothing on it
-When a camera comes out, I have one major decision; to give a peace sign, or not to give a peace sign.
-I no longer feel the desire to go pet the cute doggies. I am content to ogle them from a safe distance.
-I no longer giggle at the "lawnmowers" on the school football field. They are very unique; they consist of 6 small wooden stools, 6 baskets, 6 sun hats, and 6 very hard working Chinese women. Yes, they sit there all morning "picking" the grass.


Those are just some of the things that make me realize... I'm adjusting!

Update on life in general? Things are good! We're falling into a routine. On tuesday nights Matthew plays b-ball with some other guys. I use this time for girliness :) This tuesday I went next door to watch Love Actually with Larissa, our neighbor. Good chick flick! This past weekend we were quite busy. Saturday Matthew went to Hangzhou to watch a rugby game. I watched Gilmore Girls and did some laundry. That night, we went to a BBQ - yay for cheeseburgers!
Sunday we spent the morning at home. That afternoon, Matthew went to play soccer (or FOOTBALL to almost everyone here... Chinese, South Africans, Brits...). I primped and pampered, then went to LADIES NIGHT!

It was a lot of fun. There were 6 of us. We went to Kim's house, who is a hilarious chick. SO much fun! We ate salsa and doritos (no corn chips here!) and drank gin and tonics. We listened to music, shared girl talk, and danced around a bit. We then packed up and headed to a sushi restaurant. Amy, eating sushi, you're asking? Yes. It was my second time ever - and it was decent! I liked the vegetarian stuff the best, though - sweet potato tempura and cucumber/apple california rolls. We filled up on fish, veggies, rice, and SAKE! Did the night end there? Nope! We took our craziness to the Music House, where we were soon greeted with the song "Oh, Yes, it's Ladie's Night". Good times. We danced, sang some karaoke, and had lots of laughs (and a few drinks). Larissa and I both had early classes the next day, so we made sure we were home by about 11:30. Monday was a bit painful, but it was worth it. I'm so glad to have some girls here (and awesome ones at that!).

Not much on the agenda for this week. Matthew might play poker tonight... I've got some cleaning to do. This weekend is WIDE OPEN!

I'm very excited for next weekend - Uncle Roy and Carey (cousin Kelly's new hubby) are visiting for the weekend, along with Uncle Roy's Chinese worker, Robert. It'll be great to see the area with someone who can speak the language, and to spend some time with some familiar faces. I'm stoked!

Anyway, this turned into a pretty lengthy post... I guess maybe I'm stocking up in case I can't get back for awhile.

One more thing:

As of today, we've been in China for 2 MONTHS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment