Thursday, April 23, 2009

Students

Field trip! There were kids all over the place!















The boy on the left is a handful; but he loves English class!
























Okay, first things first. How come I've got a dozen people who say they are reading this blog, but no one leaves us comments? So sad. :)

Second: I wanted to tell you a little about our students. They are probably my favorite thing about China so far. Nothing makes you feel warmer and fuzzier than having a little kid scream your name and run across the courtyard just for a hug or a hello. Matthew's students are "cuter". They are teeny; 2nd and 3rd grade. They have trouble making a "th" sound here, so everywhere we go we hear little voices shout "Mashew! Mashew!". My students call me "Amahnder". Amanda is hard to say too; they add an r to the end, no matter how much I correct them. My students are great. They know more English than Matthew's, so they can be a lot of fun. They are still pretty limited. Here are some funny conversations I've had.





-teaching on, in, near, etc.

Amy: What is IN your desk? IN your desk?

Student: A teacher!

Amy: You have a TEACHER in your desk?

Student: (giggling and recovering from his mistake) Yes, a very small one!

-The greeting that they do NO MATTER WHAT.

Amy: Good morning, class! How are you?

Class: Good morning, Amanda. I am fine, thank you; and you?

Amy: I'm fine too!

-I'm trying to slowly teach them things other than "fine"... like I'm hot, I'm sleepy, I'm tired, etc. They can't ALWAYS be fine!

-What sport do you want to play?

Student one: I want to go hiking. What do you want to do?

Student two: I'd like to sleep. Do you want to go sleeping with me?

(The whole class cracks up)

Student two: Oh... SWIMMING! SWIMMING!




Amanda: What is in the garden?

Student: Insects.

Amanda: Good! What insects?

Student: (ponders, then answers tentatively) ME!

Amanda: YOU are an insect?

Student: (giggles uncontrollably) No! No! An ANT.

No comments:

Post a Comment